<VV> For the Engine Builders

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sat Mar 7 00:33:46 EST 2009

Hank, Please see my comments below.
Regards,
Bob Helt

In a message dated 3/6/2009 10:06:37 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
kaczmarek at charter.net writes:

Need  assistance from those with a lot of engine building experience.

I  bought a 61 FC motor last fall for my 62 rampy.  It has 80HP heads on it
presently.  Paired with a PG that doesn't provide the horsepower i'd like  it
to have.

So I bought a set of 64 110 HP heads from Bryan Blackwell  to boost up the
power.

The heads were in pretty good shape, but there's  a couple of loose guides,
and you can tell from the bluing on the parts that  the engine (one that Bryan
was stripping down) had been run hot, and more than  once.  So I'm going to go
through and replace all the parts.

But before I do that, Here's the quandary I find myself in.

Since the 64 engine had a longer stroke than the 61-63, Will I get
equivalent 110 HP from these heads using the shorter stroke 61  engine?   Would
machining down the Head Gasket surfaces some provide  more CC's to increase the power
to where I want it to be?

Forget the 1964 heads. they won't help at all. For 110 hp  power, you NEED a
164 cid engine. There is no other good choice at  all.

Would I be better off with 102 HP heads?

Will be using  61 carbs with Manual choke, I'll probably jet them a bit
bigger.

Any input from those with experience would be great, and if someone  could
cross post this to fastvair I'd appreciate it.

Best  Regards
HANK