<VV> Engine Dilema Too

Greg Shaw 65vair180 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 8 22:42:05 EDT 2009

   I have a situation similar to Hank's. I have a 61 Rampside 80 HP 4
Speed. The engine is out (poor compression) and I temporarily have a
car engine in the truck (not a whole lot better). I planned on
rebuilding the 80 HP but have since bought a camper for the truck and
fear the 80 HP will be inadequate.

What I would like to have is an engine with enough power to handle the
extra weight and still handle 60 MPH with some power to spare on the
highway. I would like decent MPG also (I'm not asking for too much am
I?). I'm not too concerned about acceleration. I don't want a dog but
I'm not looking to spin the tires either.
  I kind of wanted to keep
the truck block but per Tim Colson's comments it sounds like going with
the later 164 block would be preferable for power.  Is there a good
source of info for this type of inquiry? Is there a stock engine that
would fit the bill or perhaps a certain cam that would give me what I'm
looking for?

I know the axle ratio makes a difference. I'm not sure what axle ratio
I have. I'll have to check once the Rampside is out of its winter bag.
I would consider changing the axle if it would make a difference. Any
advice directly or directions to information sources would be greatly
appreciated. I don't mind doing the digging if I'm shown where to
start. Thanks in advance. I know the V V people have the answers!

Greg
Deartborn, MI