<VV> Cleaning and Painting Engine Shrouds

chris mann cfmann at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 9 12:15:19 EDT 2009

I know this topic comes up periodically and I did go back and google search the VV archives and reviewed prior postings.
My pet project as of now is to detail the engine compartment of my LM convertible. I removed ALL the shrouds and sheet metal around the engine and wish to have them redone.
I understand that to get the best results, media blasting with aluminum oxide will yield the best results, and likely, powder coating the parts. The consensus seems to be that the finish is obviously to be black and the sheen something like a step above matte and a step below semi-gloss. I questioned the VV board before about what GM did when the cars were first built. I doubt powder coating was an available technology back then. Enameling takes too long to dry in production and lacquer would not stand up to oil and gas spillage in the engine bay. What would they have done?
But some details and questions still remain even after reviewing prior posts, so here goes:
1.) i am familiar with metal etching, this would be done after blasting and before finishing, is etching a required step before powder coating? I would certainly etch these parts before enameling or lacquering (i know lacquering these is not an option)
2.) For the most stock looking sheen, can anyone offer up powder coating color/sheen that they might have had success with?
thanks again
Chris Mann