<VV> Great Time at the PW5

Mel Francis mfrancis at wi.rr.com
Mon Mar 9 17:38:49 EDT 2009

I'd like to second the motion! I finally responded to Chuck's invitation and
regret not making the previous workshops, but will from now on.

Being a Corvair performance enthusiast keeps you in a rarified atmosphere,
for sure. Being able to meet others who are actively making Corvairs go
fast, certainly makes it easier, to figure out the next modification that
would really help. Plus, the Indianapolis, Gasoline Alley location lent an
air of can-do reality to it all.

"Snowball" was a dual-turbo, LM conversion that simply got out of hand and
'snowballed', hence the name. It had excellent construction, was beautifully
detailed and presently is turning out around 210 rear-wheel horsepower,
which means the engine must dyno by itself, at 240, or so. Its owner admits
that it's a bear to drive, as the turbos kick in rather hard, but with
further fuel-curve refinement, I'm sure he'll be able to dial-in more
driveability.

I took a photo of his engine compartment and if anyone wants a copy of that
photo, I can e-mail it to you.

The Indiana weather was great, around 70 on Saturday afternoon, then we
headed back up to Wisconsin, where it snowed again on Sunday!

See you guys next year,  Mel Francis