<VV> Car Covers

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Tue Mar 10 14:29:11 EDT 2009

I am prepared to take your word for it, but personal experience indicates
otherwise! I have had several very unfortunate experiences with
micro-blistering, on cars that were left outside in *dry* but dewy
conditions, and because extremely micro-blistered where the cover was in
contact with the paint. When I removed the cover the contact surface where
the cover touched the paint was wet, as were various places under the car
where the moisture could only (apparently) have risen.

And I have just done a quick web search on the subject, and the best
explanation seems to be that dew is formed from moisture that condenses from
air close to the ground, as the ground has harboured heat in the daytime, so
when night falls the vapour nearer the ground condenses more.

That in itself strikes me as a good reason to avoid car covers, because the
dew is going to be condensing under your car where it is near the ground,
and wetting it (this is certainly what happens). So whatever the cause of
the dew (and I'm prepared to believe what you say about dew, and I stand
corrected) I still wouldn't touch a car cover with a ten foot pole, except a
dust cover on a car kept in a very dry atmosphere.

Cheers

Alan