<VV> Bogging on acceleration

Richard.Gaffney at gulfstream.com Richard.Gaffney at gulfstream.com
Mon Mar 16 07:45:38 EDT 2009

I have seen where the wrong port on the carb was used, sending manifold
vacuum to the distributor at idle, and dumping the advance as soon as the
pedal was depressed. In this case the timing will advance when the throttle
is closed from a moderate speed. I have also seen a distributor where the
weights were assembled backwards, leading to retarded timing as the engine
accelerates. Both conditions can be seen with a timing light. If the timing
retards as soon as the throttle is opened, it's the vacuum advance on the
wrong port. If it retards after the engine accelerates it is mechanical
advance built wrong.

Rick Gaffney

richard.gaffney at gulfstream.com