<VV> VIN Numbers

rbuckridge at comcast.net rbuckridge at comcast.net
Wed Mar 18 10:19:49 EDT 2009

>From the late models I have seen, all the VIN numbers were in deed located under the right front frame rail. All were crudely stamped and not all in the same position, I guess the hand stamping comes into play here.

If you are in a position to pay a lot of money for a show quality car, what do you think the response would be from the owner if you told him to drop the front cross member so you could check the VIN? Granted a valid request I would think, but how many owners would do this?

Also, on the VIN number topic, it is not uncommon to "re-body" race cars. Are all these race cars now frauds?

We also routinely swap out engines, transmissions, rear ends, front & rear suspensions, interiors, etc., etc. We can actually "change" out all the parts, so where does the original car become a fake?

Offered in one of the Corvette publications a number of years ago was the following that supposedly happened.

A vintage race car was in a bad accident, one guy bought the drive train, another bought the body and the third guy bought the frame. All three guys restore the car back to original condition. The question is, who owns the actual vintage race car?

And the answer is, the guy with the paper work, which in this case also included the log book.

I think the idea of fraud comes into play when the INTENT is to cheat a future owner by misrepresenting the actual article.

Roy - Bayshore