<VV> VIN Numbers

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Wed Mar 18 13:38:19 EDT 2009

There was once a company that actually would take a floorpan from a USA
titled VW Beetle (rear-engined, air-cooled), cleans it up and then attaches
all new parts (from Mexico or Brazil) to make essentially a "brand-new" VW
Beetle that is legal to license and drive in the US.  See these links:
http://www.vwheritage.com/blog/volksworld_beetle_build/
http://people.westminstercollege.edu/staff/bknorr/html/future.htm

Now, I ask you, how would that be different from taking the "frame" (or
frame-rail, if you will) of a CORSA and attaching it to an otherwise
unmolested MONZA of the same year, outfitting it with all the correct CORSA
parts and titling it as a CORSA?

At what point does replacing parts end up creating an all new vehicle?  What
part of the original vehicle needs to be present to call it the same
vehicle?

Bill Hubbell