<VV> Hidden VINs

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Wed Mar 18 11:18:52 EDT 2009

Smitty Says:  Some of you are coming on pretty strong about the idea of re-VINing a car by changing the plate and title because the hidden number doesn't match.  I won't argue the legality of that but here is something else to consider.  How about the thousands and thousands of cars that have suffered collision damage and got front end clips.  Perfectly legal back in the day when "salvage" titles and "reconstructed" titles didn't exist.  Does the title match the hidden VIN anymore?
Not that I can imagine a body shop replacing such an item even when the cars were new, but I have seen stacks of NOS front frame assemblys on pallets.  No numbers on them and it would be illegal to put them on.