<VV> VIN Numbers

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Mar 18 12:01:07 EDT 2009

In a message dated 3/18/2009 7:20:16 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
rbuckridge at comcast.net writes:

Also, on the VIN number topic, it is not uncommon to "re-body" race  cars.
Are all these race cars now frauds?

If the "race" car is registered and titled in a state, it should be  kept
legal for that state. If a frame horn was replaced due to accident  damage,
something should be done to track the numbers matching. If you are  talking Yenko
Stinger number plates. Those are only an "Indicator" and, whether  or not some
owner has 'Bamboozled" his DMV into accepting them as a VIN, are  worthless as
a legal indicator. Stingers sold as new cars from the Yenko  Chevrolet/ Yenko
Sportscars dealership (Possible exception might be Yenko  prepared race-only
cars - very few cars) were sold as Chevrolet Corvairs with  the Chevrolet VIN.
I had the original bill-of-sale for YS 003 with all the  paperwork. It was
always tracked in DMVs as a Chevrolet and, at least until I  sold it, had the
stamped and riveted numbers matching. I have seen  many "re-bodied" race cars.
They should be kept as race cars. If brought back to  street use, and
registered, the origin for all the parts must (in  California) be identified to the
DMV, much like a kit car.

For reference - The "N" in "VIN" means number. So we shouldn't call them
"VIN Numbers"

Seth Emerson

C's the Day! -  Corvair, Camaro, Corvette