<VV> Hidden VINs

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Wed Mar 18 12:01:24 EDT 2009

Most of the rest of the world has very specific rules about car
identity, recognizing that car bodies are just another replaceable part
and a car's "identity" isn't tied to a specific aspect of the car...
that it must be considered as a whole.

Here in the US (because of basically zero tolerance laws) we are left
with the absurd situation where replacing every body panel separately
(whether with new or used parts) to restore a car is considered
perfectly appropriate and legal but using the whole body from another
car (with the exact same end result) isn't. There is no valid argument
to be made that the procedure and not the end result should determine
"legality"....

What the "true" identity is really a philosophical discussion.... one
where a "zero tolerance" view is quickly reduced to absurdity with
practical examples...

In the big picture, having zero tolerance laws is likely a good idea
because it places tighter controls on those who would alter car
identities for fraudulent purposes (which would include tax evasion,
theft, etc...), but we shouldn't confuse the legal limitations with
practical (or even moral) realities... many of the world's highest
dollar cars carry virtually none of their original bodywork and in some
case even their chassis...

Bill