<VV> Most States didn't require Titles when Corvairs were new!

David Houston judgehouston at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 18 13:04:34 EDT 2009

I realize from the Corvair VIN discussion that many members are not aware that Titles weren't mandatory in many states until the mid-1970's. Even in those states if you didn't want to register the new vehicle you didn't have to apply for a title. Corvairs were long gone as new vehicles,by then. If anything, a certificate of purchase tax to the State of Whatever served as a defacto Title, if necessary.In 2003, I inherited a 1970 Catalina SW from my great uncle in Vermont. This car was never titled. I believe Vt required Titles beginning in 1975. I know Mass. required titles on new cars as of Jan 1,1974.  My FC from Penn was originally purchased as a fleet sale by the Allegheny Power System for West Penn Power in 1962.  My FC's original color was a schoolbus yellow.from the factory. I do not know if this was the power co. color or not?  I was told their vehicles operated in a tri-state area and had to cross register in Md.  I was also informed that
 the shop mechanics would torch cut around the VIN on the door jab and save the still legally riveted VIN to put in another van if necessary. This was not uncommon back then. Also changing or replacing the odometer wasn't a crime until a state made titles mandatory. In Maine, odometer readings aren't required after 10 years, titles after 15 years. It's not mandatory that autos prior to 1980 registered as antiques have a valid VIN.  It does make it difficult to reregister it in states that require valid VINs no matter what the age.  Why is it so easy in Maine you ask? Because it is a rural, predominately 99% white population. Auto insurance wasn't mandatory until about 10 years ago because the increase of new non-white drivers were disproportionately responsible for 70% of the accidents w/injury +/or fatality. A startling statistic!  I just received a call from retired Mass. RMV Officer Abe Rafferty who told me that in Mass in the 1960's fleet
 commercial vehicles and 'built-ups' for business or pleasure were not required to have VIN #'s on the frames to register. That would explain why my FC's haven't frame VIN #'s. Mr Rafferty said it was SO lax back then people would mistakenly registered cars model #s as a VIN and so on. Personally, I registered my first car in 1968 in Mass. I do not remember any official checking out my vehicle(s).