<VV> Find on the way to work/ Titles

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Wed Mar 18 14:37:29 EDT 2009

Paul wrote:
In Indiana the state can and does issue new vins to cars sold at auction by
the state. That is if the car has no vin on it and they don't know where the
hidden numbers are.

Craig replies:
The three states I've dealt with, Idaho, WA, and CA all can issue VINs.
I've had each of these states assign VINs. I don't remember the exact
triggers, but making two cars out of one was one of them - the state doesn't
know which VIN to use so they sometimes issue a new "clean" VIN. This is
getting harder though and you do have to prove ownership of each half
(receipts/bill of sales).

They will also issue "bonded titles" which keep the existing VIN but the PO
can claim the vehicle at any time up to three years later. Not good if you
restore it before you have clear title but this is the simplest approach.
I'm doing this currently with a Rampside that has been out of the DMV system
so long its title records were purged.

About the statement "not knowing where the hidden VIN is": I've spent lots
of time with WA and ID inspectors (I've had 200 cars of my own and another
500 through a dealership I owned). The inspectors had a big glossy-cover
book like you would find on a coffee table. Every make and model has
explicit descriptions and pictures of proper VIN attachment and hidden VIN
locations. The fact that it's such a nice publication implies to me that
every DMV in the country has one. I did find an error once and the inspector
had a tough time believing me. The book indicated the VIN on a '63 Corvette
was on the column, not under the glove box. The book was right for a '62 but
wrong on the '63. She eventually believed me but only after speaking with
her boss at the capitol who confirmed my assertion.  At any rate, don't bet
on the state "not knowing" the location of the hidden VIN and remember
changing a vehicle's VIN is a federal felony issue. Now if your retirement
plans are in question and you're looking for a big house to stay in...
(GGGG)

Craig Nicol