<VV> Find on the way to work/ Titles

Spencer Shepard sshepard3 at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 18 15:19:21 EDT 2009

Don't try to title an old car in North Carolina, even if it is legitimate.
There was recently a scadal involving a DMV official who was allowing a
friend to title new "hot rods" as old cars. The problem with that was he was
selling the new cars for about $50K and the state was taxing them at a very
low value and hence losing revenue. Now you are assumed to be guilty until
proved innocent and the car must be inspected by a DMV agent before you can
process the paperwork which will be scrutinized to the Nth degree. The
inspection is done on a  "when they get around to it" basis. I'm trying to
title a 52 crosley that I owned in New York when there was no title. I
started last fall and may get it done this summer. I'll have to post a bond
before I can get the title. The bond costs 5% of the value of the car or a
minimum of $100. The value of the car must be established by 2 independent
appraisals that I must obtain (and probably pay for). I'm considering
getting a residence in South Carolina but I'm not sure if that will be any
better.

BTW, I also have a number of other cars that I may someday get around to
restoring. That may depend on whether I can title them. If I can get some
"legitimate" NC titles I could tranfer them with no problem (admittedly
illegally). What a system!

Spence Shepard