<VV> Car Chases (no Corvair)

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Fri Mar 27 14:39:14 EDT 2009

VVers:
> #7. Ronin

I'm glad someone else out there likes the car chase in Ronin.  Driving
in the wrong direction around the ring roads of Paris with a license
plate-mounted camera ... first rate adrenalin-pumping stuff.  Besides
the car scenes, the rest of the movie is also pretty entertaining.  The
part where the German guy catches a steaming hot cup of coffee in midair
(after Robert DeNiro's character intentionally knocks it off a table)
kills me every time.

This was also one the first movies I ever happened to see that came on a
DVD (i.e., versus VHS), so I particularly enjoyed the director's
commentary.  In it, John Frankenheimer gives an excellent lesson on how
a movie gets made, including a great bit on how the car chase was filmed.

If anyone on the list is looking for a good movie rental this weekend,
this would be an excellent candidate.  Be sure to watch the director's
comments afterward.

Steven "once spilled hot coffee on the rubber mat while driving his
Corsa" Serenska
'65 Monza Cvt., 110/4
'66 Corsa Coupe, 140/4