<VV> One year & 10,000 miles in my Greenbrier

David Houston judgehouston at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 29 12:00:54 EDT 2009

I just reregistered and passed inspection of my Greenbrier after 12 months and 10,000 miles. I decided to use it as an everyday 2nd car/sw. What I'm most happy about is that It has been trouble free and doesn't leak any fluids. Thanks to the newer gaskets/viton. I have a rebuilt '63 motor and PG out of a 700 that burns little or no oil. The minor change I made was to remove the pcv and run a pseudo-road draft tube to constantly remove the crankcase gases and condensation. It drives the tree-huggers crazy to see that steady stream of steam once things get going. Most of the time though people are curious and amazed to see a Greenbrier van in everyday use. My mpg is a little disappointing. I get 20 mpg on the hwy at 50-55 and 15mpg or less around town. I am so glad I rebuilt the heating system and wrapped insulation + foam around the duct for its entire length which prevents the windchill effect while driving that can cause drastic heat loss. I also
 installed a newer fan with about 50% more power.
BTW I was told that PG transmissions out of 61-63 Pontiac tempests will fit in Corvairs due to the transaxle similarities? True?