<VV> Pontiac/Corvair interchange

David Houston judgehouston at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 29 15:34:42 EDT 2009

I just returned from watching a corvair powered aircraft. It seems this adaptation has helped insure quality parts are available to all of us. I was told that between 8-10,000 corvair motors have been adapted for flight, but he didn't know if that # reflects the number of light aircraft built by hobbiest. Later, we went to a barn sale where a Pontiac-Oakland club member had Corvair and Tempest PG trans from 61-63. They appear identical.. Apparently, the tempest differentials can be used in Corvairs. He had a book called Automobile Interchange Systems 1950-1965 GM, which provides a wealth of info of parts that can fit corvairs. Because of the loss of so many salvage yards in the last few years info like this is necessary to all of us.
I've traveled to Cuba thru Canada several times and it is like a time warp in Havana. There must be 100,000 American cars from 1960 and earlier. The Cubans have adapted parts from Russian and chinese vehicles to keep the old USA cars going. Castro will let you take out a car of this vintage only if you pay a bribe to his comrades. You can have it shipped to Mexico for more bribes, but you must secure the vehicle yourself. I was involved in one of these deals but it is quite stressful and I'd never do it again. BTW, I didn't see any Corvairs,but I did see an Eastern Block van that looked like a FC.  Cuba is a wealth of those old USA cars.