<VV> The Greenbrier

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Mar 30 01:20:14 EDT 2009

In a message dated 3/29/2009 9:01:11 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
judgehouston at yahoo.com writes:

The  minor change I made was to remove the pcv and run a pseudo-road draft
tube to  constantly remove the crankcase gases and condensation. It drives the
tree-huggers crazy to see that steady stream of steam once things get going. .
 . . .  My mpg is a little disappointing. I get 20 mpg on the hwy at 50-55
and 15mpg or less around town.  . . . .

There may a slight connection. If it is coming out of the crankcase, it
isn't steam, it's blowby, and it should, indeed drive the tree-huggers crazy.
There is nothing wrong with sending that blow-by back into the motor where it
can be burned. (And if the engine is rebuilt, you might take that issue up with
whoever rebuilt the motor. The oil rings might be working, but the compresion
 rings might not be well seated.) The carbs are set up for the added air
flow.  Without that, you are probably running too rich, which is why your mileage
is  poor.

What you do is up to you, you can even brag about all the pollution  you are
pumping out, cause that's what it is!  I'm glad it's only in  use as a 2nd car.

BTW  I was told that PG transmissions out of 61-63 Pontiac tempests will fit
in  Corvairs due to the transaxle similarities? True?

No. Not interchangeable. Some internal parts, plates/clutches/etc. might be
used in both.

Seth  Emerson

C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro, Corvette