<VV> A Novice Tries to Answer a Question

Jeffrey B. Aronson jrh at foxislands.net
Mon Mar 30 10:20:28 EDT 2009

> 1 - A friends car says after about ten minutes of running his car
> started 'pouring smoke' out of one of his exhausts.  I'm guessing a
> holed piston - anybody have a better (cheaper) explanation?

Hi Andy,

I'm a novice with Corvairs, but I'm going to start the conversation for
the experts.

A holed piston would not wait for 10 minutes to start "pouring smoke."
It would have no compression immediately in that cylinder. I've learned
here that what I feared was white "smoke from oil" is more often excess
gas. Perhaps one carb is flooding? Or perhaps he has a lot of crankcase
pressure that's overwhelming the PCV tube or valve? Is there oil coming
out around the dipstick tube?
> 2 - Can front springs (EM vert) be cut down a half coil - or must it be
> a full coil?  In either case - how much is it likely to lower the ride
> height?  Is it possible for the cut down spring to pop out of its pocket
> at full droop?  If so, can it get out of alignment - or will it realign
> itself?

I've certainly read posts about a 1/2 coil  reduction, but I'm going to
leave that to the racing/autocross fraternity here.
> 3 - Is a mag fan 'moaning' sound at start up a sign of bearing failure?
The moan is a lack of grease. Mine does at startup when the car has sat
for a few days. I plan on getting the Clark's grease attachment for the
fan bearing. I've also read that it can do this for a long time before a
failure.

I'd await the more experienced opinions before taking any actions.

Good luck!

Jeff Aronson
Vinalhaven, ME 04863
www.landroverwriter.com