<VV> Electrical Question

Mel Francis mfrancis at wi.rr.com
Fri May 1 23:23:10 EDT 2009

I can't explain it, but I can report that it has happened to me, back in
1966, driving a '57 Plymouth.

Driving along a highway at night, there was a loud pop and a flash from
under the hood. The car rolled to a stop,
by the side of the road and appeared to be completely dead. I  got it towed
to the local Sunoco station where
some friends hung out after hours and we attempted to jump it, only to find
that the battery polarity had become reversed.
A new battery and a new regulator put everything right and I never had the
problem again, but I always wondered
what might have happened under the hood that night.

I must add, that the car was my first, with an engine from another Plymouth
and lots of tinkering under the hood by my 18 year-old self,
prior to that evening, so who knows what goofy electrical mismatches were
involved!

Mel Francis