<VV> Corvair - "How Stuff Works" got it right

Rodney Spooner corvairenterprises at yahoo.com
Tue May 5 02:11:11 EDT 2009

I was surfing the internet, minding my own bee's wax, when I came upon this little item of intrerest...an article about the Corvair that actually got it RIGHT!!!

Check out:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/chevrolet-corvair.htm

Here's an excerpt:

            "Nevertheless, the initial Corvair suspension of 1960-63 did not create a "dangerous, ill-handling car" as later lawsuits claimed. It did oversteer to be sure, but the tail-wag tendency wasn't severe -- provided that recommended tire pressures were observed (15 psi front, 26 rear). The problem was that most owners didn't pay attention to that, and some got into trouble.
            When Ralph Nader found out and wrote Unsafe at Any Speed, Corvair handling became a cause celebre that wasn't put to rest until a 1972 congressional investigation cleared the 1960-63 models. Of course, this came far too late. Corvair was already three years gone."

Spread the word.  : )

Remember, the Corvair's Golden 50th Anniversary is Friday, October 2nd, 2009. (The Corvair officially went on sale Friday, October 2nd, 1959.) Get your Corvairs shined up and ready to show NOW!!!

Vairy truly yours,
Rodney Spooner