<VV> Damaged Cam Gear

David O'Neal dnoneal at comcast.net
Tue May 5 23:29:44 EDT 2009

65 coupe 110 pg.

The engine started to make a bad knock and grinding noise although it was running fine.  I immediately thought it was the harmonic balancer - another one of those items on my list to replace.  The HB did not visibly fail but it looked to be slightly crooked when I turned the engine over.  Got a rebuilt HB (and a new motor mount because the original came out in 2 pieces.)  This did not fix the noise - I suspected it wouldn't.  The noise seemed to be down low and towards the diff end of the motor.

Next I opened up one valve cover and didn't find anything.  Then I pulled the oil pan and found damage to the cam gear.  There are 3 pieces broken out of the gear - about half of one cog each place about evenly spaced around the gear.  The breaks in the gear look fresh. Could a failed HB damage the cam gears or thrust washer, etc. on the other end of the motor?  Maybe sling something loose inside the bellhousing and fall down into the cam gears?

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks,
David O'Neal