<VV> Smog Heads -- 95 vs 110

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Fri May 8 13:58:02 EDT 2009

And, for my last discussion point, I hesitatingly ask -- what is the
difference?  Seems like back in Nov of 2007, nobody, and this included
Bob Helt and Lon Wall, could precisly agree or explain some of the
differences.

If they both used the open heads with the 95 having flat-topped pistons,
and the 110 the "domed" pistons, what I want to know is where did GM
find 95 horses by reducing the compression ration in the 95 motors from
the earlier squish design?  Or, are the horsepower figures for the 68's
and 69's simply bogus?

I know that different head numbers are listed in Clark's catalog, but
what are the actual differences in the castings?  Are not all open
chamber "smog" heads the same?  Are some more "open" than others?  They
all "look" like 180 turbo heads, without the special turbo features.  If
I had some some of each, I could cc them myself, but I don't, and
anyway, if you've ever cc'd a batch of heads, the volumes are often all
over the place anyway.

I do know that if you used "domed" pistons in a squish (quench) design
head with a stock assembly technique, the pistons to head clearance is
very small to negative.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thank you,

Bill Strickland