<VV> Cash for Clunkers

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Mon May 11 02:44:23 EDT 2009

The other thing I have not seen pointed out, but which would happen, is that
if cars are only going to have to last 9 years, manufacturers will cheapen
their parts so that they are 'lifed' at 7 or 8 years. So a 5 or 6 year-old
car will be as far through its life cycle as a 12 year-old one is now.

And manufacturers already control the life expectancy of the cars they make,
by adjusting the quality of the components they put into them - and (even
more so) by the pricing structure of the parts they sell. Most of the cars I
see in junkyards are there because they need parts that are more expensive
than it is worth spending on them - but it is the manufacturers that control
the prices, and they can reduce or increase the rate and age of scrappage of
the cars they make at the stroke of an accountant's pen.

I have a 1995 Volvo 940 wagon that I use for towing - it is a horrible car,
but it is cheap to run and very solid (although the interior trim is cheap
rubbish). Recently while I was on vacation in France I had a 'mirror to
mirror' coming together with a guy in a modern Volvo in a country lane. The
glass fell out of my mirror but that was all - it doesn't stick out very
far, and is mounted at the base on a VERY strong metal pillar. In addition
it is black, so I do not need to get the housing painted if it gets hit.

The other car that was involved was a modern Renault, with a mirror that
sticks out from the A pillar (rather than having a base under it). The
mirror was body coloured and contained the turn signal. The whole assembly
shattered and the mirror swung back and smashed the guy's side window.

He tried to assert that it was my fault but it wasn't (he was too far over
towards my side of the road), and anyway in a lane where there is no line up
the middle the convention is that each person pays their own repairs, which
is what we did. But I heard from him that the cost of repairs to his cars
was over $1200 (700 GBP) including parts, labour and paint.

The cost of repairs to my Volvo was $4 for a stick-on mirror glass. So don't
tell me that modern cars aren't being built with planned obsolescence in
mind, nor that manufacturers don't control the life-expectancy of their
cars...

Cheers

Alan