<VV> rear brakes on 64 Monza

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Mon May 11 22:39:09 EDT 2009

At 07:04 PM 5/11/2009, Frank DuVal wrote:
>Another BIG problem we are seeing now causing brake lockup is the
>deterioration of the inside of the rubber brake hoses. The insides come
>apart and form check valves, allowing brake pressure to apply the shoes,
>but not allow the pressure to relieve through the master cylinder when
>the brake pedal is released. Result-smoking brakes.

This is not a recent phenomenon.     Happened to me while coming back
from a 'vair chapter get-together outta town in the '60 a few years ago.

The 4-door began to lug a bit.   Curiouser and curiouser became I
'til I got alarmed and stopped to see wtf.

Ever see a brake drum glow red?   Visible through the slots in the
wheel.  It even discolored and blistered the paint on the center
portion of the wheel (still like that to this day).   I was worried
about the tire.    I waited on the side of the road for a while until
things cooled down enough (turned out to be not long enough) for me
to attempt to remove the brake hose from the rr wheel cylinder
(boiling brake fluid hissed out of the still-hot wheel cylinder but
not the hose at the metal line end; it was THAT clogged) and plug the
line with a piece of hammered-flat wheel weight crammed between the
metal line and the brake hose.   The remainder of the trip home was
uneventful.   Drum was warped, shoes were black, wheel cylinder was
ok but the cups inside were vulcanized to the insides of the
bore.    It actually had become self-aggravating in that the brake
fluid boiled in the wheel cylinder and made even more pressure
against the brake shoes which made more heat which got the fluid
hotter etc ad nauseam.

When I got home I went shopping at AZ, replaced all the hoses, then
fixed the brakes.   I learned a lesson.

A month or so later, the same thing happened to the '67 500
coupe.    Only IT didn't burn anything up, caught it early, hoses
went on that one too.

tony..