<VV> carburetor exchange?

deltainc deltainc at grm.net
Thu May 14 15:08:14 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arend Huisman" <arendhuismus at xs4all.nl>
Subject: <VV> carburetor exchange?

> Hi Guys,
>
> my engine did have a major overhaul last summer and it sounds and drives
> better with every 100 miles it goes.
> It's a 110 4speed and it lacks power above 3000 rpm. I think it's normal
> for this engine.
> Has anybody tried to exchange the 25mm Rochesters for a pair of Solex 32
> or 34 mm carburetors?
> I think it would breath better...
> I wonder what you might think
***********
Here is another reason to install a vacuum gauge pickup under the carb .....
a large value of vacuum ( say 4 psi ) at ( 3000 ) and up means your carb is
restricting the flow more than your valves and pistons are trying to get
......   you could use more carburetor... ( or your air filter is dirty heh
heh, * almost * the same thing ...

If vacuum remains low value ( ie, 1 psi vacuum ) at higher rpms, your carbs
are as big as the engine can use ... you need more valves, bigger cam ,
bigger engine (g) ....

........ and thus you can see that even a very small amount of turbo charger
boost can do a lot, considering the time and money involved.

Also, lack of top end power can come from other things ... such as not
enough total ignition timing ( should be around 34 -36 degrees at top
end....   also, remember the corvair 110 stocker late model vair will only
do about 90 mph top end ...  for interest, how fast will your rig top out
at??  heh heh, for sheer scientific interest, of course ... heh heh ..

just some trivia ... ken campbell, wino wanabee in iowu