<VV> Corvair weekend/ some Corvair/ some racing

levair at aol.com levair at aol.com
Mon May 18 10:38:49 EDT 2009

It's a  bit much for and old Corvair guy, but that pretty much
describes most of us.
Saturday Michael and I went  100 miles to the Mad Anthony Corvair car
show in Fort Wayne IN.
      We were greated by "Fort Rain's" normal weather but also by at
leat 41 car displayers.
  It was great to see old friends agian and compare stories and lies.
    Chilly rains shortened the show but cleared up nicely in the
afternoon while we were inside for other activities.
I brought the '64 Roadster because I was headed 150 miles in the other
direction Sunday for an Indy region autocross. It was the first time
out for the little car this season. Most observers never even noticed
the little car's 30" shortness.
    We had great meals with the Mad Anthony ladies preparing gourmet
sandwiches at noon and Pizza in the afternoon.
     Michael Mckeal presented a well thought out tech session on
carburetion (any of you young folks remember carburetors?) from theory
to practical application.
    Later in the day Michael and I discussed how the recent (last week)
Walter Mitty Vintage race Corvair invitation and performance was very
good for the Corvair club in general with future Corvair  coverage in
"Classic Motorsports". magazine. I also bored many with stories of the
"skunk work" 1960 race vair.
    It was a great time, but I was already tired before going to the
solo II race the next day.
     Getting Sharon up at 5:00 AM was the hardest part of the trip , but
she wanted to go.
     The Terre Haute IN airport is the best concrete racing surface that
I have ever seen--absolutley perfect. The local college group designed
the course.
    We had about 140 entries and had to devide into 4 groups with 5
runs. We pregridded the cars two heats before racing just like the pros
at the Nationals. This helped stramline the event.
    The course was low to middle 2nd gear for me and I liked it all
except the strange design at the first north west left hander which
could have been a  delightfull sweeper---glad I brought the smaller car.
     The competition reminded me of the concurrent "bump" day at the 500
track; the competition was that close.
     I finally won my  7 car EM class on the last run at just .7 sec.
Second was a well driven and prepared  Datsun 240 Z with a LS1`
Corvette engine. Most of the rest in D and E mod were various Lotus  7
replicas.
    But the most interesting win for me was just barely beating the
Honda S2000 powered, 1200# Lotus replica of Steve Brinkerhauf. This was
because my son prepared that 7 to beat his daddy-how unfair is that? I
had to watch the developent next door.
    This was such a popular event that many entrants came from other
states after runing  on Saturday also. I got to see many of my friends
that I had missed for over 5 years. It was a great Sunny, fun day.
    The only spoiler was persons who didn't show up for their work
assignments and others had to cover for them. I'm sure that this
affected the non effieient posting of times.
     After ward we had a wonderful friendly supper with our  racy
friends at a great Mom and Pop diner in nearby Brazil.

       I haven't seen any official score postings, so the rest of you
will have to tell your own stories,

Very tired but happy,

Warren