<VV> Tranny pan, oil filter, oil cooler, pressure switch ...

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 18 20:29:52 EDT 2009

Spent this afternoon after work changing the tranny pan gasket.  It
had been over torqued (perhaps me, but I was always very careful to
follow the torque guide in the manual so... dad?)  Anyway, I removed
the old gasket and flattened the bolt holes (thanks Harold L.  -
NTCA ) and will put on the new gasket tomorrow...thought I had gasket
sealer...
I also am changing the oil because I'm nearing 3000 on the second oil
change after the rebuild and because I'm not sure if the carb problem
had leaked gas into the oil.  I am going to use a Mobil 1 High
Capacity filter model , M1-30, as the FLAP guy at PEP Boys said it
was the same as the PH-8A (et al) that is supposed to fit my 90
degree adaptor (A/C car).   I double checked the gasket diameter and
it was the same as the AMSOIL that I replaced and it screwed right
on.  I took the oil cooler plate off in order to blow it out.  You
just use the air hose to blow straight down I believe...correct me if
I'm wrong.
I still haven't heard from anyone on the oil pressure switch
installation question.  I even dropped Clarks a line today.  I'm not
particularly concerned with solving this one right now as I don't see
it as a critical problem.

I have received a ton of help from many of you on the list, and so I
just wanted to drop a line and let you know where things stand.  Once
I get the pan back on, add oil, replace the motor mount, solve the
idle/gen/fan light problem and reinstall the air cleaners, it should
be ready for a road test.  I'll keep you up to date.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Stephen Upham