<VV> Leaking Carb. Connection

craig nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Sat May 23 19:04:02 EDT 2009

John wrote:
"Hello everyone.
I was on this list years ago and have just returned.
I just installed a pair of rebuilt carburetors on my 65 110 engine.
Started right up and sounds good.  However, the fuel line connection
to each carburetor leaks slightly.  It seems that these connections
ALWAYS leak.  I tightened them up about as much as I think the
threads will take. What is the trick to stop this?  The leaks are
slight but a drop of gasoline forms after the engine runs for about 2
minutes.  I'd be willing to use non stock connectors just to stop the
problem.
Thank you,
John Ingram"

Craig replies:
If you have tightened the connection but it still leaks, you have a
defective part that needs to be replaced. Either the flare is deformed or
split or the flare-seat in the large nut is deformed or damaged. In the
carburetor application, the flares are only exposed to 4-5 PSI. Similar
technology in the brake system is exposed to 2000 psi so it's not like we're
pushing the envelope :-)  My vote is a split in the tube end.
Hope that helps,
Craig Nicol