<VV> turbocharger

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Mon May 25 10:35:27 EDT 2009

 You really don't need it, however, if you REALLY feel a need to cool the thing, keep it simple. Get a short section of finned hydronic baseboard radiator, and simply mount it vertically near the turbo, and fill 'er up! Let convection do the work. Have a small expansion tank on top, and forget about it!

The purpose of water cooling is to protect the bearings against coking when the oil flow stops. On every water cooled turbo engine I've come across (and I've owned a few), the only circulation after shutdown is via convection. Heck, you could simply use a coil of copper tubing! The amount of heat you need to dump, either way, is small. The goal is to keep the temps from cooking the oil. And that just doesn't take all that much!

If one were made of $$$, and wanted to keep it simple, do this and use a perfluorocarbon fluid as the coolant, and let the loop operate as a percolator!