<VV> turbocharger

Frank F Parker fparker at umich.edu
Mon May 25 14:18:50 EDT 2009

> Ball bearing turbos also have oil feed and drain lines. There's no other way to keep them cool enough. And during operation, oil is THE primary coolant. However, should you decide to make yours wet, do consider the thermosiphon option.

I like the thermo siphon idea but it does not apply in the GT series
case. I just measured the restrictor size in the oil feed line in my
turbo and compared it to a normal id of a conventional feed line. There
was 94 times LESS area to feed oil in the GT turbo line. It is pretty
clear that oil is NOT the major cooling in this case but the continuous
flow of water. In a normal BB turbo, the oil line is restricted. Maybe
some older BB turbo used nonrestricted lines. In that case, oil could be
considered to be siginificant to cooling but to make a blanket statement
that ALL bb turbos use oil as main cooling is not correct. Explain how
94 times lees oil cools as well.
I do like the thermo idea but it does not apply for mw where I need
cooling all the time, not just at shutdown

frank