<VV> Turbo Carb

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Mon May 25 19:04:17 EDT 2009

At 01:07 PM 5/23/2009, Ron wrote:
>Weren't they used on the Nash Ambassador?  The Ambassador was always known
>as a fine running car.
>RonH

They were used on other Nash cars as well, along with not only early
Corvettes but a number of marine applications too.

The Carter Y is a respectable carb that does what it was intended to
do, and does it well.   After over a half-century it's a bit dated...
but it will still give a good account of itself if it's in good
condition and set up right.

The key word is "good condition".   Years of stress and mis-use and
overtightening of bolt hardware can warp the bodies, cause leaks and
throw off primary metering in a Y carb.   Likewise assembling the
carb wrong and/or getting a gasket in backwards or using the wrong
gasket, blocking off a passage that otherwise wouldn't be missed
except for the miserable idle and stumble that results.   They're
really not that hard to make work once you understand them.

And, they can be made to go around corners by doing a different bowl
vent.   Easy mod.   Lots of Y's were modded thus.   Too bad the
venerable AFB wasn't as easy to vent or control fuel slosh.

My 'vair turbo tweaker still had a YH on it and it was as smooth
running as anything I ever had.   And, it made power.   And it looked
bone stock.

All those folks out there who think the Carter YH is a POS, send
those examples of excrement along to me, glad to take them off your
hands as cores.

tony..