<VV> The Eternal Mechanical vs Electrical Fuel Pump Question

Jack Kean jkean at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 25 23:14:10 EDT 2009

Bob,

I have an intertia switch (from a Taurus) and purchased an electronic
fuel pump controller from David Heath. Here is an explanation of the
unit that I received from David:

    The controller has a small computer chip which turns on an internal
    relay when power is first applied.  This relay is energized for
    three seconds.  After that initial three seconds, the relay is
    energized only if a tach pulse is present.  The tach signal line can
    hook up to either a "coil - " line (stock tach signal) or a 12v
    square wave pulse (like typically found on an aftermarket ignition
    such as an MSD box.)  Most electric fuel pumps draw about 2.5A and
    specify a 7A fuse be installed in-line, so I included a 7A circuit
    breaker in-line with the relay contacts (one less thing for you to
    concern yourself with).  I have also included several parts to aid
    installation.  I own a corvair and designed this unit for my
    corvair, but it will work in any 12V, negative-ground vehicle.  I
    have included a PDF of the installation instructions to help answer
    any questions.The price is $60 plus $5 shipping via USPS Priority
    Mail.  I can send via other methods if you desire, but in the US,
    the USPS method is the cheapest and is pretty quick.

The control unit works as advertised. The initial 3 second delay is
usually enough to get gas into the system after a rest. It is a nice
small unit, that I mounted under the dash. I did not like the smallish
wire included to the pump, so I used this unit to control a relay that
sends 12 volts to the pump.

jack kean
Arlington, Texas