<VV> What's It Worth X2

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue May 26 16:30:07 EDT 2009

Ned writes:

Bob,

You don't know the value of these cars?

It's always  difficult to give a value without seeing the car or even a
picture. If I'd  have to guess (and I guess I do), I put them both in the
$1500-$2500 range. As  the owner of a "plastic fantastic" car, I really don't
value them very high,  regardless of how nice the plactic is. However it does
run. The show car with  a dead engine, is a car with a dead engine. Subtract
the cost of a good  rebuild and a repaint from that one. Its cost may depend
on how dead the paint  really is, if is shows good or not.

BTW "We don't need no stinkin'  badges!"

Ned

Oh - You movie buffs! (And you don't know where that badge has been!!)
But about the cars. The only way I put a value on a car is what it is worth
 to me - at this exact time. The smart way to do that is to assess the car
as it  is, estimate the cost(s) of bringing it to the point that I would
stop putting  money into it because it is at the level I want. Then value the
finished car as  it would be acceptable to me. The difference equals the
amount I would pay for  it. Of course, that "assumes" that I know the amount
that the finished car would  be worth to me. You can estimate that by looking
at cars which have already  attained that status. Someone else in the club or
a friend of a friend might  have a car that meets your expectations. If you
know how much that car is worth  (has one changes hands recently?) then you
might has a starting point for to  measure from. If all of the above seems
complicated - it isn't! That is how most  people buys car today - even if
they don't know they are doing it. That is,  however, why it is so hard for a
person to put a price on a vehicle - that they  are not in the market to
buy!!

Bob is probably not in the market for either of these cars - nor am I -
especially given the 3000 miles distance away. So it will take the  attention
of someone who might indeed be in the market for this type of  car  - or
project, as the case may be. So, East Coasters, it is time to  earn your keep.
The coupe would require less work, it is more "ready to  drive". The
Convertible would take more work, so the acquisition price might be  lower - BUT -
the car might be worth more when finished. Unfortunately, neither  car is
one of those highly-coveted  4-doors, so they will probably bring  only
modest sums. I may be in the minority here, but, depending on the financial
circumstances of the family - inheritors, I guess,it is not a bad thing for
someone in the Corvair Club, maybe even an associate of the late owner, to
pick up one or both of these cars at a friendly price as a project with
earnings  potential. I hate to refer to that as a benefit of club membership. But
as a  member of a couple of California clubs, and President of each a few -
well more  than a few times - I have turned down dozens of Corvairs, mostly
free ones. On  the positive side, I have stayed married for 36 years.

Seth Emerson

C's the Day! -  Corvair, Camaro, Corvette

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377034x1201454326/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=
MaystepsfooterNO62)