<VV> Front End Wobble

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Thu May 28 17:25:12 EDT 2009

In a message dated 5/28/2009 3:37:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
KMFEAR at aol.com writes:

I know  this been covered before but I don't remember the outcome. I  have
only noticed this on convertibles. I had a 64 Spyder that was a nut  &
bolt
restoration. Now I have a 66 Corsa Convertible. Between  34-39 MPH I get a
solid wobble out of the front end. It feels like a  bent wheel hit 40mph
and
its  gone. I pulled all 4 wheels re-balanced  and put the rear on front and
vice  versa, still there? 18lbs front  28lbs rear. I have running theory
(guess)
that  maybe this has to do  with radial tires at low pressure, 18lbs. Whats
your   experience?

My unscientific experience has been that the radial tires initiate it and
that if you put different tires on the car the wobble will happen at a
different  speed.  The dampers in each corner of a LM convertible are there for
body  dynamic reasons and were added before radials were provided as standard
 equipment.  It has been a long time since I've driven a LM convertible
with  bias ply tires, but I don't remember this being an issue then.  I
wouldn't  worry about it unless it is really bad.  And I'm assuming that worn front
 end parts aren't contributing to it.

Bob Hall
cntnew00000007)