<VV> turbocharger cooling

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Thu May 28 19:26:11 EDT 2009

Turbo owners,

A fairly simple addition of an exhaust temperature gauge will take the
guesswork out of shutting down a turbocharged engine.  This was one of the
first accessories I added to the Cummins turbodiesel in my 2001 Dodge
truck.  I just wait until the EGT gauge registers 300F or less before I
shut down the engine. This is fairly easy for my wife or some other person
who borrows the truck to understand. For light, easy driving the EGT may
reach 300F right away.  If I have just hauled my neighbors' 8500# skid
steer + trailer up the 8% hill near my house then it may take 5 minutes or
more.

Shortly after we purchased (used) our 1985 Jeep Cherokee with a 2.1L
Renault turbodiesel the center bearing in its Garrett T2 seized up--the PO
had not followed the owner's manual recommendations for idle shutdown. I
had that turbo rebuilt with a water cooled center section and it has since
gone 150K as if still new.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI