<VV> installing a dual MC in '65

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Thu May 28 21:12:55 EDT 2009

Seth,

Here in the rusty east it is very foolish and dangerous to reuse steel
brake lines. The brass fitings are OK, but please, do not reuse the
steel. And now that our cars are 40 years+, also do not reuse the rubber
lines. They can fail internally and cause brake lockup.

John,

As Lon said, dual MC drum brakes systems like Corvairs did not use a
proportioning valve. It is a pressure switch to light the light when one
circuit fails.

I have installed several Dual MC kits from our vendors in 62 to 66 cars
with no problems. There is no switch block or pressure valves in the
kits. I have not checked into the Multi Kit, even though I usually
replace everything (springs, hardware, wheel cylinders, etc) when doing
a brake overhaul. Safety first said the guy who has had brake failure on
the road. BTDT, let's not repeat.

Frank DuVal