<VV> What in the World.....?

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Wed Nov 4 00:42:46 EST 2009

At 09:40 PM 11/2/2009, Jason Cesana wrote:
>Mine works quite well when I stop fooling around with it trying to get it to
>run better! I've never really had a problem cold starting.

...I have, with both '60s here.   I resolved my 4-door issues by
ridding myself of the original choke altogether.  The '60 Monza still
has its original choke and it is inop because the heat tube AND the
port in the exhaust manifold are both clogged and stopped up... and
I've not gotten around to changing either of them out yet.

The '60 Monza never goes anywhere in winter anyway.

>I've had quite a
>few problems hot starting when the valve failed to open properly.

Or rather, failed to open, period, after having been unheated by the
clogged heat plumbing.

>Still for
>what Chevy was doing it was quite innovative. We are talking about designs
>started in the mid fifties. I think the real problem with the choke on the
>60 was the lack of proper knowledge of the spring coil.

The real problem was carbon clogging of the heat tube and port on the
right side exhaust manifold, twice cleaned and twice reclogged on the
4-door before I got kinda sick of it come winter each year.

>If it got dirty or
>clogged up it would not work properly.

And the very nature of the way it was heated suggested that it was
primed for failure.

>Simple cleaning would solve it (ask
>me how I know that!).

...how often?    ;)

>Also making sure the spring had not lost its tension
>is part of the maintenance for the car. Even seasoned Corvair mechanics can
>get tripped up by the 60 choke as they don't often see too many of them.

The 4-door's choke is one less example for anyone to see because it's
gone from the car.    ;)    Now I never have any problems with cold
starting or hot-rich issues, ever.    ;)

The one thing I will admit is that the '60 choke, like a Corvair
transaxle, is gloriously complicated and looks really trick.   Where
it differs from the transaxle is that it never lasts as long before
failing.    But it looks nifty...

tony..