<VV> Speedometer problem on 63 Monza

Charles McKinley cmckinley313 at cox.net
Wed Nov 4 08:44:52 EST 2009

The speedometer on my 63 Monza has had a problem ever since I got it
in 1993, such that I've had to uncable it so that it doesn't work at
all. Specifically, at speeds above about 40 mph, the drive cable
screeches and the needle bounces between zero and the top peg. Before
you suggest the obvious fixes, I've replaced the entire instrument
cluster and tried several new drive cables (including a new cable
housing), none of which helped. I have two speedometer movements, one
in the car and one on the bench, and if I drive them externally (low-
speed drill with a short cable), the movements work smoothly. I also
discovered that if I loosen the collar on the end of the drive cable
where it hooks up to the back of the speedometer unit, it works a
little better, but still not as it should. This leads me to believe I
might be missing some sort of a thrust washer between the end of the
drive cable and the speedometer. Is there supposed to be such a thing?
I don't have a complete shop manual that would show that level of
detail. Or is it simply a case that the drive cable can't handle the
~270 degrees of twist between the trans and the speedometer without
jamming somewhere? I've lubed the heck out of it numerous times to no
avail.
	The only good side of this is that the Monza hasn't registered any
miles in 15 years!

Thanks for any advice,

Chuck McKinley