<VV> Corvairs thru Darien gap

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Wed Nov 11 11:46:47 EST 2009

On Nov 10, 2009, at 8:29 PM, Secular wrote:

>  Early Darien Gap Expeditions:
>
>  The first vehicular crossing of the Darien Gap was made in
>  1959 - 1960 using a Jeep and a Land-Rover. Upton records
>  that the exact route from the Panamanian / Columbian border
>  is unknown, possibly being by boat down the Atrato River.
>
>  Around 1962 an expedition sponsored by General Motors failed
>  in an attempt to take three Corvairs, surely improbable vehicles,
>  across the gap.
>
>  The British Trans-Americas Expedition drove two Range Rovers from
>  Alaska to Tierra del Fuego in 1972. This was partly to promote the
>  recently released Range Rover. They had numerous mechanical
>  problem, breaking differentials due to overloading and the use of
>  over-size tires on the Darien Gap section. That section was
>  undertaken as a major expedition with British Army support...
>
>  Source:
>
>  http://www.4wdonline.com/Places/CentralAmerica/Darien.html

Tony,

This article, stating that the Corvairs failed to cross the Darien
Gap, is difficult to understand, in light of the documentary, "Daring
the Darien", which we've all probably seen. I see the statement that
the GM/Corvair effort failed in other articles but no original source.
I wonder where the truth lies. Perhaps the moon landings were faked too?

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
Treasurer, Membership Chairman
CORSA South Carolina