<VV> Veteran's Day---Corvair Content---

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Wed Nov 11 22:53:15 EST 2009

Today I took a previously scheduled vacation day off
work.    Veteran's day... it rained cats and dogs all day and it's
9:40 PM now and STILL raining.   Weather dood said it was going to
maybe rain this morning... 20% chance.

The '60 4-door and I took the daughter to school since she missed the
bus.    All was well as I pulled up in front of the school.    In the
time it took her to collect her book bag, Dr Pepper, potato chips,
and Cheese Danish  (we'd stopped off at 7-11 on the way) the LR tire
went flat.    I didn't hear any hissing or the like, just noticed the
car slowly lowering in the back corner as she tentatively made moves
to dash up the steps while hoping the rain would let up for a few
seconds.    It did not.

I wobbled a few feet down the curbing to get out from in front of the
steps, waited a few minutes for the rain to maybe abate (it did not)
the bit the bullet and got out in the rain to change the tire.

The spare hadn't been touched in years.   Still had a full compliment
of air.   It is mounted on the original spare tire rim (same color as
the rest of the car's rims) and has a code date that appears to be
1966 (which sounds about right considering the width of the
whitewall) and is getting close to being bald but it continues to serve.

Got out the jack and lug wrench, did the do jacking up the car while
any and all manner and sorts of student drop-offs came and went in a
steady procession.    In the rain came SUV, minivan, pickup truck,
family sedan, VW Beetle.   The majority of them rubbernecked as they
passed by me while I was wrestling with the lug wrench trying to
loosen the lug nuts...  which had been put on with an impact wrench
when the new tires went on the car last spring.

Three of them eventually came loose after straining until veins stood
out in my neck like Ahnold in a pose, breaking loose with a SNAP as
they relinquished their grip on the studs.

One would not give up.    I strained harder, both knees on the
submerged pavement to steady the pull as the rain poured.   I
wondered if the procession of vehicles contained drivers who felt empathy...

I took a brief break, went back to the trunk and plucked out a late
model tail pipe picked up at a show that was still riding around in
the trunk and slipped it over the end of the lug wrench to save the
hand which was taking a beating trying to bear down on the handle to
crack loose the last stubborn lug nut.   A deep breath, grab the
tailpipe extension on the lug wrench with right hand, left hand on
the end of the lug wrench to steady it and then pull hard...  SNAP.

The lug wrench broke, split on the socket end... I'd expected it to
break where the pivot is, if it was gonna break anywhere.  The lug
nut sat there staring back at me.    Back to the trunk to the
handy-dandy tool kit I won as a door prize at a Vair Fair a couple
years back.    You know the ones, black plastic box with clamshell
doors and a 1/4 and 3/8 socket set, screwdrivers, allen wrenches, and
a set of torx bits.    The ratchet, an extension, and 3/4" socket
went back to the lug nut, with the tail pipe extension on the ratchet
handle in hopes it wouldn't break as well.    SNAP.   The extension split.

At this point my sense of humor had gone the way of the sunshine.

Back to the trunk, putting away the tools and broken
extension.   Brainstormed.  Recalled a salvation under the passenger
side front seat where the 4-way lug wrench had been stashed for who
knows how long.    Not one of those big boys with a 2 foot wingspan
but the smaller one that fits under a 'Vair seat without peeking
out.    Back to the arrogant lug nut.   That's when a female driving
an Oldsmobuichevy stopped, window rolled down and a voice called out:

"How old is that car?"

      "In a couple months it will be 50 years old."

"Is that a Corvair?  We used to have one when I was little."

      "Everybody used to have one.   I have a dozen.  Maybe even the
one you used to have."

"Oh my!   Well, good luck!"

...wasn't sure whether she meant with the tire, or being saddled with
a dozen Corvairs.

On with the 4-way, pulling and
pushing.   Hard.   Harder.   Hardererer.   F*cking lug nut would NOT
budge.    The rain was not letting up.   Hair stringing down in my
eyes...  sweat shirt clinging, stickywet.   Back on my knees with a
two fisted grip mumbling "you're gonna come loose this time you
sunuvabish or you're gonna break, one or the other."

The 4-way bent but nothing broke.   I never bent a 4-way lug wrench
before.   Damn, it was just a corporate GM 3/4 lugnut, shoulda
snapped the stud off by now.   I am not a small person and I have
enough muscle and ass behind it to twist lug studs off, done it
before several times.  Rust flakes sprang off the lug wrench's wet
shank and still the lug nut refused to budge.    Back to the trunk,
secured some mechanical assistance via that tailpipe extension on the
right-hand end, a funky dusty (now soaking) red shop rag on the
left-hand end to keep from leaving lug wrench socket depressions
embedded in my palms.    The knees were starting to wick water down
to my shoes...  a huge Ford pickup with a LOUD diesel rumbled past me
at a brisk rate spraying more water off its gumbo-jumbo tires which
was hardly worthy of notice considering the soaking already in place.

My logic this time would be that the lug wrench shank would now be
work hardened a bit by the twisting and bending it had taken and thus
maybe would not give in anymore and I would be able to wring off the
offending lug stud, nut and all.    Another hard pull with growling
sound F/X and I felt something give.   Finally the stud was twisting
off, or so I thought.   But nope, lo and behold the nut had loosened
and I spun it off.

Onion-grip spare went on, checked the flat radial for a nail or a cut
or anything at all, saw nothing.   Put everything else away, drove
home...  pissed off.   The car is in the driveway and it's still
raining.   Tomorrow the ragtop will take me back to work... I'm not
gonna get rained on anymore and I'm not gonna ride the 43 year old
bias ply semi-bald spare across the county.

Weather report for tomorrow is clearing and slightly warmer, with
Friday being dry and warmer yet.   Saturday more of the same.
I'll believe it when it happens.    This weekend is likely gonna be
the last "nice" weekend of the year, if experience is any indication.

On the way home I was kinda tempered by the fact that I was able to
enjoy getting rained on while changing a flat with a stuck lug nut in
40 degree temps in front of a high school with half the student body
checking my progress from the windows.

A lot of guys wearing a Uniform in some desert shithole on the
opposite side of the planet would likely gladly have traded places
with me.    It makes you count your blessings...  and made me think
about the times when I was in Uniform getting rained on and sticky
and muddy and in the middle of no-friggin-where wishing I was just
dry for a while...  thought about those guys a bit more as I drove,
with Neal Boortz on the radio talking about soldiers in distant
places as well as a dozen others at Ft Hood...

Here's to remembrances, and a thoughtful Veteran's Day to everyone
who served.

tony..