<VV> Leaf Spring

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Thu Nov 12 11:47:15 EST 2009

Original Message:
-----------------
From:  lonzovair at aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 15:07:41 -0500
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: Re: <VV> Veteran's Day---Corvair Content--- answers, comments,and
I didn't make it in the Corvair...
Well, I see I'm not "the only one" that happens to! I have had failures on
old bolts and new Clark's bolts.

I also have snapped many bolts holding the leaf spring to the arms. Quite a
nice display of sparks at interstate speeds.

For a temporary fix, just remove the leaf and keep driving. It sits very
low in the rear, but even with 5 people inside (I was driving a carpool on
one of the times) the car will make it home.

As long as there is a seat for most of the rubber bushing, the spring will
work fine. No need to replace. It is not the cause of the bolt failures.

Did yours break where the cotter key hole is, or another location?

Frank DuVal

JR,
I was about 40 miles from home when the bolt snapped that holds the rear
leafspring to the lower control arm... I was going about 75 MPH, and now
there's about a 1/4 inch of metal missing from the end of the leaf
spring... this is the second time this bolt has snapped... (yes, it is a
different bolt, but the same side)... I was able to drive it to Cheryl's
work and grab her vehicle. I'm in Northern Ky now, but getting ready to
drive back so Cheryl can drive home... what would make this bolt snap
twice??? I might be in need of another leaf spring... anyone have one
somewhat inexpensive??? I'm almost ready to put 63 rear springs on that
car... I still have to drive the Corvair home, about 30 miles... It just
bugs me that it's doing this...
I'm halfway tempted to yank out the engine and tranny and stick it in the
61 Greenbrier... (it's the one with the 1969 engine, tranny & diff)...
Anyway, I'm open to suggestions, ideas... and maybe a new leaf spring...
Later,
Lonzo... on my way back home from N-KY...