<VV> was November 11 - now manual to power top conversion

jimster1 jimster1 at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 12 18:39:13 EST 2009

I converted a manual top to power on my '66 Turbovert.  The worst part of
the job was to get the two gearboxes back in shape.  They were full of hard,
crusty, non-lubing grease.  There is a little thrust bearing that carries
the end load of the big gear.  Its tiny balls were in bad shape.  I was
unable to find a replacement as the ball are made of unobtainium.  However
my local bearing shop had individual balls, minimum quantity 100.  I bought
a box and proceeded to replace the balls with great success.  After
rebuilding the gearboxes, it's pretty much a matter of removing the big
spring assemblies and installing the gearboxes, drive cables and motor.
BTW, a power drill works great as a temporary drive, but one side at a time.
Be sure to get both sides synchronized before connecting the cables etc.
Wire 'er up and bingo, power top operation.
Jim