<VV> Decoding a 63 vin number and Spyder ID

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sat Nov 14 01:50:19 EST 2009

At 12:21 AM 11/13/2009, Frank DuVal wrote:
>And the easiest way to tell a real 62/63 Spyder is how good the exhaust
>opening is. It should look like it was stamped out at the factory, not
>cut out with snips, etc. There should be a good folded lip.

Another place to look is for the reinforcement bracket that attaches
to the rear cove panel section, between the air grill and the
tailpipe notch to keep things from flapping.   People who clone
Spyders almost never install the bracket since most people don't know
it's supposed to be there.   Also look for the altered/crooked
regulator mounting, to clear the air cleaner.   While you're there,
look for the ballast resistor mounted on the rear unibody box member
close to the distributor which wasn't used in anything except the
turbo cars.

If you wanna get serious, the Fisher body tag contains a code
letter/number to identify the Spyder option package on '62 and '63
models which of course were all 900's, while the '64 Spyder had its
own model number designation (600) which is also why in '64 the Monza
cross on the front fender doglegs no longer had '900' on it even
though all the non-turbo Monzas were still 900s.    Getting even more
picky would be to count the original dash lamps.   Spyders had
extras... dash cluster wire harness was also different as well, to
accommodate the extra wires for the tach and head temp gauge
etc.    Interestingly enough, the body harnesses (at least the '63's)
I've seen have the extra wires in them for the tach and other gauges
even when in a non-turbo ap.   You could also look for patchwork on
the decklid where the turbo badge is parked.   The regular
crossed-flags badge (in the hi-perf engine'd models) had evenly
spaced in-line mounting holes while the round "turbocharged" badge
had diagonally positioned mounting holes.

There are a couple other things to look for but I disremember...

tony..     (2 or 3 Spyders along the way, still have one)