<VV> Corvair hesitation

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Tue Nov 17 10:17:18 EST 2009

In a message dated 11/17/2009 8:12:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
gtpjimgammon at yahoo.com writes:

I bought  this Monza, and it needed a tune up, it ran when cold, but died
when warm. I  did everything but timing, I can barely read the mark on the
block. It runs  great now until completely warm, then it has a slight
hesitation problem. It  isn't really bad, but I want to fix it.

Could this be timing?  What else? I filled it with regular, but I hear no
pinging.

It  had decent plugs, some brown deposits.

Thanks in  advance.

Jim Gammon

Jim,

First fuel--with the chokes on (when the engine is cold) the mixture is
richer.  If the engine is dying when the chokes are "pulled off"--when the
carbs are fully open then the mixture is too lean.  You could also have a  bad
carb--with the carbs uncovered and the engine running place the palm of  a
hand over first one carb then the other without letting the engine die.   If
covering one carb doesn't slow the carb down then it isn't doing its job
and  needs to be cleaned.  And in this case using the old trick to  unblock a
carb by placing a palm over it repeatedly then letting go as the  engine
dies may dislodge some blockages.

Second ignition. I take it you've replaced the points and condenser so now
set timing using a feeler guage or, if possible, a dwell meter.  Then check
 for spark at one or more plugs--preferrably when the engine has been
warmed  up.  If the points are good check the coil.  If all those are ok then
you may have a worn distributer or fuel flow problems or other gremlins.

But do the basics by the book first.  And use premium fuel.   That's what
they require.

Best of luck with it.