<VV> Battery Will Not Turn Starter

Ray Davis scout1977 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 17 18:41:34 EST 2009

One answer to the battery will not turn starter problem.  I recently had the same problem on my '64 vert.  It was embarrassing at the Chevy dealer when we were setting up our car display on October 2.  Have you ever had to push start a Corvair in front of an audience!  The lights, horn and other electrical gadgets worked fine.  A fully charged jumper box (or whatever you call them) did nothing.  A jump from another vehicle started the car.  Later even the car jump did not work.  Corvair expert, Frank Du Val, ran a test on the starter and it was not getting enough juice.  Frank, with his vast experience, determined that the battery cable had pulled loose inside the Delco molded clamp.  A new and longer cable from Clark's did work.  Yes, the battery was tight in the battery hold down retainer.  Cutting the clamp open, it was not obvious that the cable had slipped.  However, you could see where it had slipped where the cable enters the clamp.  The old cable was just long enough to reach the post.  Apparently, the flexing of the engine was enough to pull the cable less than 1/4" out of the clamp.  I think the reason the first jump worked was because we probably attached the jumper to the exposed part of the cable.  Thanks again, Frank!

Ray Davis

Hartwood, VA