<VV> Flaming River Quick Steering/correct steering adjustments

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Thu Nov 19 17:52:06 EST 2009

Cliff and Seth really touch on a surprisingly common fault in old cars--not
 just Corvairs--i.e. improperly adjusted steering.  I have been given the
opportunity to drive some really beautiful Corvairs that their owners
lavished  many hours of labor on (and/or money) and I have been surprised how many
had  problems with wandering, loose, or binding steering.  Given the
untrue urban legends surrounding our Corvairs we really ought to make sure that
by-the-book methods are used to be sure we have properly handling cars.
There is a reason "Steering" has its own chapter and is not included with
suspension.  How many people really make sure the wheels are straight  ahead,
disconnect the pitman arm and adjust the worm shaft, check with an inch
pound torque wrench and make sure the shaft is on center BEFORE they pop the
trunk plug and adjust the lash screw there?  I've often thought that once  any
Corvair (or any old car with a recirculating ball steering box) has been
properly set up the plastic plug over the sector shaft lash adjustment  screw
access hole in the trunk should be removed and discarded and a metal plate
tack welded over the opening with a stencil saying "no user serviceable
adjustments" to avoid the damaged, ropy, loose and binding steering so many of
 us find when we buy a used Corvair.  (Not that I haven't done my own
damage  in the past before I learned better).

Bob