<VV> A pint of oil over the 900 miles (Was: Well EXCUSE me...)

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Sun Nov 22 19:33:40 EST 2009

"...you only used a pint of oil over the 900 miles (and going pretty fast,
too)..."

The 67 coupe has 40+ forged pistons with moly rings. During boring,  the
cylinders were clamped tightly--much like they would be when installed  in
use; we made a fixture comprised of 1/2 a cylinder block with a  steel plate
over top of the cylinders. This method resulted in very round  and extremely
straight bores. I've been running about 5,000 miles between  oil changes;
but, even at that mileage, the oil has remained clear enough to  plainly see
the "full" and "add" embossing and silver color of the dip stick.  While not
new car technology, the tolerances achieved are certainly better than  that
of the 60s. I can supply pictures of the fixture if anyone is  interested.

 Mike

In a message dated 11/22/2009 7:10:12 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,