<VV> Surging

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 23:45:18 EST 2009

Matt, so are you saying a leaky intake valve will cause this?  My last
compression test was: #1 125, #2 148 #3 154, #4 151, #5 154, #6 151. #1 was
at 115 when I bought the car and after putting 600 miles on it, it is at
125, was at 131 after 250 miles of driving, though.

Even though it seems to have power, it never has sounded quite right until I
get up to about 60 to 65, lower speeds it seems to have a vibration and
sounds odd. Putting a 15 W 40 oil in it helped, I'm now running a 5W40 Shell
rotella T Synthetic (Has the higher levels of ZDDP in it) for colder weather
and it is ok.

So, it sounds like a bad valve guide allowing the valve to move around
giving different readings?
Am I on the right track? Not that I want to pull the heads and do them. Its
a 47 year old engine and pulling just the heads is not a option. :(:(

Thanks for the other suggestions, guys, I will definitely check the advance
and try to set the canister.
Mark Durham