<VV> why constant newbie questions? corvair literature criticism

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Thu Nov 26 12:03:57 EST 2009

In a message dated 11/26/2009 8:26:26 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
airvair at earthlink.net writes:

Bob,

I have to differ with you on the usefulness of an index. A  table of
contents is a general listing. An index would break down that  listing into
various key elements. A GOOD index, I have found, is  invaluable. It's just
that there are so few good indexes, for  anything.

Case in point is the Grand Lodge of Ohio's Bylaws index.  Totally worthless
IMHO.

OK, let's agree on that....A GOOD index is invaluable. But you seem to have
 the
same problem that i have found over 40 some years of reading and
researching.
BAD indexes are everywhere. EVERYWHERE. And you cite a bad one  for your
example???

Thus I revert to my previous posting.
Indexes are generally, if not  universally, of no use. And here is the
crux. When
you are looking for a  subject or word in a book, the author must have
included
your word, etc. in  his index. But the authors don't. They use their own
words. So you must know the  words they placed in the index, a difficult task
making the index hard to use at  best.

Seems like you suggest that "we" convert all the existing Corvair documents
 to a universal index. That would be unbeliveably useless in practice.
Challenge  declined.

In addition Tables of Content are NOT general listings at all!!! They are
listings of section headings specifying the content of each heading. Nothing
 general about it to me. But all specific information content.
Regards,
Bob Helt